Monday, July 30, 2012

Mediterranean Tilapia

I am not your mother's worst nightmare as a picky eater, but I am the first to say that fish has never been my favorite food, despite its great health benefits.  My taste buds do not go much further than salmon and tilapia.  I enjoy these fish grilled on the BBQ, but since I will not have access to a BBQ for the next two years, Dad showed me a great recipe I can use.  This is a very tasty and healthy meal which only takes about 20 minutes to cook. 

Tilapia is quite a bland fish.  Dad sautéed it in a tomato salsa and served it with rice and stir fried vegetables.  Cook rice according to packet directions and start vegetables and tilapia at approximately the same time.

Ingredients

3 fillets tilapia
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 garlic gloves, minced
3 spring onions, chopped
1 can (14.5oz) diced tomatoes, drained
2 tsp parsley flakes
1 tsp salt

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened.
3. Add wine, tomatoes, and parsley; simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add fillets and simmer until fish turns white and flaky (approx. 5 minutes).
5. Complement with stir-fried vegetables.


6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
(recipe adapted from Dillon's grocery store)

Serves 3 people

TIPS

- Check out the meat counter at your local Dillon's store for free recipe cards!!
- Note how the circles of courgette and carrot contrast with the lengths of celery and spring onions.  Nice touch, Dad!

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment